Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Risk


Risk: exposure to the chance of injury or loss; a hazard or dangerous chance.

Each day, we all make decisions. Some are simple, such as what we are to wear, some are more difficult such as what career choice we should pursue, and frankly, some are just risky.

Everyday I strive to take a risk. I like the challenge, I like the adventure, and I like the adrenaline rush. But what happens when normal risks like riding your road bike in the snow are no longer risky? Bigger and Better risks are pursued.

Last night I took a long ride out to the river and I realized how much the river has changed, but mostly how much the river has changed me. Everyday for the last 4 years, the Missouri has flowed past Vermillion and I've enjoyed its beauty. And each year I pursue more endeavors on the river. Last year I Kayaked and Canoed it almost everyday. I canoed 59 continues miles down the last wild stretch and saw her beauty and her power. She dared me to be more daring and challenged me to more adventures than I thought I could I could do.

The ride I took last night was my risk and I didn't feel that risky. 18 miles at dusk. But the risk had more to do with gravel on the road and the drivers than it did with me. But in the end it felt good.

Lately I've been itching to take a risk that is really risky. I want to ride my bike from South Dakota to Boston. --By myself. I'm not sure if I'll do it yet, but I willing to take that risk.

I think challenging yourself and risking it all, makes you realize how precious life really is. The closer you are to losing it, the closer you are to finding its meaning.

No comments: